Tuesday, January 12, 2016

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM



for additional information on the film, go here.You will be amazed at what they changed between the book and the movie. 

Otto Preminger directed an adaption of the Nelson Algren book. Frank Sinatra plays Frankie Machine, just out of jail, where he kicked heroin. He has the opportunity to try out for a band as a drummer but virtually everything gets in the way. Eleanor Parker plays his wheelchair-bound wife, Darren McGavin, his drug source, and Kim Novak, his love interest. The score Elmer Bernstein) is terrific.  Preminger forgo the big screen, color version he had planned for this plain as dirt but interesting set in black and white. This is Sinatra's best performance (he thought so too) and all of the supporting roles are well done. Can't believe I never saw this one until now. The movie gives every scene what it needs.. Sounds like the book ended very differently indeed.

6 comments:

Jeff Meyerson said...

What I remember about this after so many years: what a hateful shrew they made the wife. You wanted to push her down the stairs like Richard Widmark in KISS OF DEATH. There is very little connection between book and movie.

Barry Ergang said...

I'm glad you finally got to see this one.

Mathew Paust said...

I saw the film when it came out. Hadn't even heard of Nelson Algren, or, if I had, had not read him. I recall Sinatra's performance as riveting. Must've blocked out the harridan wife, but no doubt would have enjoyed watching Widmark toss her down the stairs.

Anonymous said...

I admit; this is one I've not seen. But I've heard very good things about it.

Jack Seabrook said...

I saw this a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. It made me want to read the book. I had slogged through every last story in The Neon Wilderness years before and that cured me of any desire to read more Algren, but this movie may make me reconsider that.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Going to look for it today!