Friday, July 22, 2011

The Summing Up, Friday July 22, 2011

Just five days ago, Milton Burton sent me information about his new book TEXAS NOIR. He has written several book reviews for this site over the years and I have grown so fond of him (as I do all the ladies and gentlemen that come here--and there are a lot of you). Now I have learned that he has been hospitalized for tests. Kevin Tipple tells us that it is not life-threatening. Good!

Please send all of your good wishes to Milton and include a few for Kevin Tipple and his wife too.

We need to huddle together in these hard times for so many.

You can find my mystified review of TREE OF LIFE right here.

And for all of your hard-working reviewers, some appreciation.

SteveHL
has left a new comment on your post "The Summing Up, Friday July 22, 2011":

"I don’t know where else to put this comment. Like everyone else who reads FFB, I often think that I would like a particular book that someone discusses. Most of the time I don’t follow up (who could afford to?), but when I do I usually am very glad. In just the past few months, I have enjoyed books recommended by John Norris (Miss Hargreaves), Yvette Banek (The Baby Game), Ed Gorman (Hard City) and Barry Gardner (Death of a Fantasy Life), as well as quite a few others. I thank you all.

And one more thing…I want to say how much pleasure I have got from the writings of many of the FFB posters themselves. Again, many thanks."

And thanks to Steve for sharing this.


The Summing Up

Patti Abbott, Outsider in Amsterdam, Janwillem van de Wetering
Yvette Banek, Daddy Longlegs, Jean Webster
Paul Bishop, Ringside Jezebel, Kate Nickerson
Michael Carlson, 47th Samurai, Stephen Hunter
Bill Crider, Cain's Woman, O.G. Benson
Scott Cupp, Anita, Keith Roberts
Loren Eaton, House of Stairs, William Sleator
Martin Edwards, Death to the Rescue, Milward Kennedy
Glenn Harper, The Sunday Woman, Carlo Fruttero & Franco Lucentini
Randy Johnson, Star Born, Andre Norton
George Kelley, Double Trouble, Sheldon Jaffery
Margot Kinberg, Indemnity Only, Sara Paretsky
Rob Kitchin, Borkmann's Point, Hakan Nesser
B.V. Lawson, Five Passengers from Lisbon, Mignon Eberhart
Evan Lewis, Seven Samurai, Robert B. Parker
Steve Lewis/Bill Pronzini, Route 13, Ed Lacy
Steve Lewis/William F. Deeck, Quinney's Adventures, Horace A. Vachell
Todd Mason, The Collected Stories of Carol Emshurller, Janet Fox; Mister DA V, Kit Reed; Janet Quiet, K.A. Laity and Elena Steier
J.F. Norris, The Room with the Iron Shutters, Anthony Wynne
Eric Peterson, The 100 Best Movies You've Never Seen, Richard Crouse
David Rachels, Summer, Fireworks and My Corpse, Otsuichi
James Reasoner, The Barn, Glenn Law
Gerard Saylor, Guild, Ed Gorman
Ron Scheer, Two Soldiers, Charles King
Michael Slind, Keep Cool, Mr. Jones, Timothy Fuller
Kerrie Smith, XYZ A Detective Story, Anna Katherine Green
Kevin Tipple/Barry Ergang, Mystery Ranch, Max Brand

8 comments:

SteveHL said...

I don’t know where else to put this comment. Like everyone else who reads FFB, I often think that I would like a particular book that someone discusses. Most of the time I don’t follow up (who could afford to?), but when I do I usually am very glad. In just the past few months, I have enjoyed books recommended by John Norris (Miss Hargreaves), Yvette Banek (The Baby Game), Ed Gorman (Hard City) and Barry Gardner (Death of a Fantasy Life), as well as quite a few others. I thank you all.

And one more thing…I want to say how much pleasure I have got from the writings of many of the FFB posters themselves. Again, many thanks.

Ron Scheer said...

Patti, the blog discussion of books and writers is a good example of the social construction of reality. As always, I read through the Friday list and, feeling like I'm from another planet, am surprised to find myself on it.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

I am slow today thanks to another one of my falls yesterday. More on the blog but suffice it to say, stairs are not my friend.

I am told our man Milton will be paroled tomorrow and back home from the hospital. I'm told he is doing much better and can't wait to get home.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Very good news indeed, but sorry to hear about you. As a person who falls often due to weak ankles and knees, I feel your pain.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

As of 3pm Texas time today, Milton has written in a brief e-mail that he is waiting for one more doctor to make his rounds so that he can go home.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks, Kevin. I will post it.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Based on some e-mails I have gotten from Milton tonight, I think he is back home. He has not answered the question outright, but he is back e-mail wise and offering observations on this and that.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Milton is home.