Thursday, April 07, 2011

HOW I CAME TO WRITE THIS BOOK: THE HANGING WOOD, Martin Edwards



"How I came to write this book"

The inspiration for THE HANGING WOOD, the fifth in my series of Lake District Mysteries, came from my increasing fascination with sibling relationships. As an only child, I’ve often found the ways in which brothers and sisters inter-act together to be slightly mysterious. In the past, I never found it easy to imagine what that kind of relationship would be like – but of course, one of the joys of being a novelist is that it gives you the chance to stretch your imagination in fresh directions.

A question I asked myself was what it would be like if your brother or sister disappeared, and was never found again. What if the commonly held view was that a relative had murdered the missing child – but you didn’t accept that was true? What if you clung to the belief that your sibling was still alive?

In the story, Orla Payne has never been able to come to terms with the idea that her older brother Callum was murdered by their uncle, who then committed suicide. The body was never found. She meets Daniel Kind, the historian, and when she confides in him, he urges her to talk to DCI Hannah Scarlett. But then a shocking tragedy occurs.

The book is set in the Keswick area of the Lake District, one of the most beautiful places in Europe. Much of the action takes place in a tightly-knit community surrounding old Mockbeggar Hall – there is a farm, owned by Orla’s father, a caravan park where her mother used to live, a residential library, where she has been working, and the Hanging Wood of the title. The library, by the way, was inspired by a real-life library in North Wales – St Deiniol’s Residential Library, a magical place built by a Victorian Prime Minister and full of atmosphere; it was also the setting for the launch of my last Lakes book, THE SERPENT POOL.

This story develops the slow-burning relationship between Hannah Scarlett and Daniel Kind, and as well as exploring family connections, it is also concerned with the nature of justice. ‘Don’t you care about justice?’ Orla asks Hannah. Of course, Hannah does, but she finds that few things are harder in life than making sure that justice is truly done. I really enjoyed writing THE HANGING WOOD and I hope that enjoyment is very evident to the people who matter most – my readers.

Martin Edwards is the author of two series, set in Liverpool and the Lake District. At the CWA Daggers Awards 2008, he received the award for best short story of the year for 'The Bookbinder's Apprentice'. The eighth Liverpool book, Waterloo Sunset, and The Arsenic Labyrinth,(shortlisted for Lakeland Book of the Year 2008) have both recently appeared in paperback. So has Dancing for the Hangman, a novel about Dr Crippen. The fourth Lake District Mystery, The Serpent Pool, was published in February 2010.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patti - Thank you for hosting Martin.


Martin - Thanks for sharing what went on "behind the scenes" of The Hanging Wood. You ask such fascinating "What if..." questions, and they really will, I am sure, make for a great story. I am very much looking forward to reading The Hanging Wood.

Charles Gramlich said...

Very interesting. Years ago I started a book about a man whose little sister disappares when she is fishing with him, and how her body is never found. He is suspected of involvement but there's no proof so he's not jailed. I never got very far with it though.

Yvette said...

I loved Martin's THE CIPHER GARDEN and I'm lining up the rest of the books in the Lake District series, soon as I finish my current crop of library loot. Thanks for posting this.

Dorte H said...

Ah, I reviewed this one last week! Even better than the first four Lake District mysteries!

Fun to read the story behind it.