Thursday, October 21, 2010

HOW I CAME TO WRITE THIS BOOK-Dave Zeltserman



"My wife and I moved to a house where we had this weird weed-like tree where this large root system ran under our front and side yards. Every day little weed/trees would sprout out from this, and they'd grow fast. If you didn't pull them out, within a week they'd be about a foot high and would start developing thorns. So every day I'd walk around our property pulling out hundreds of these suckers, and after a summer of this, I told my wife I was going to write a book about it. She told me I was nuts. So that left me no choice but to write The
Caretaker of Lorne Field."

Dave Zeltserman is also the author of Pariah, Small Crimes, Killer, 21 Tales and the forthcoming Outsourced. Be sure to read Dave's story in DISCOUNT NOIR, coming to ebook venues soon.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patti - Thanks for hosting Dave.

Dave - Thanks for sharing this story. I think most people who write are inspired at least a little by people they've known, things they've read, places they've traveled or personal experiences of some kind. Your story is really interesting...

George said...

I have THE CARETAKER OF LORNE FIELD on my Read Real Soon stack. It's near the top. I know you gave it a glowing review, Patti. It's great to read how the author came to write the book.

Charlieopera said...

This guy is on a writing roll and deserves a lot more credit/press. We've had our beefs in the past (and I forgive him his addiction to that cheating football team) but he's now accomplished in several different genres. So what his favorite QB has hair like a girl?

pattinase (abbott) said...

Margot-you'll have to do one for your new book.

YA Sleuth said...

Dave's book is next on my TBR pile--can't wait to read!

Charles Gramlich said...

I can see that as inspiration either for a book, or for a "move." :)

Dorte H said...

This story sounds appealingly nutty!

Kathleen A. Ryan said...

I always enjoy hearing the story behind the story...this one is very intriguing!

I just bought my copy of DISCOUNT NOIR ~ it's now available for sale! Thanks again for suggesting the challenge and for all of your efforts in this fun book (thanks also to Steve Weddle and Stacia Decker). I'm thrilled to be in the company of such awesome writers.