Monday, February 01, 2010

My Town Monday: Dirty Dog Jazz Cafe



http://www.springvalleysigns.com/restaurantandcafe/dirtydog.html (For sign-maker's site)


Two years ago, when this venue opened six blocks away from me, I was skeptical to say the least. I live in a community that is not hip. The idea of a jazz club succeeding in these economic times was ludicrous. And an elegant, tiny jazz club at that. One with a fairly pricey menu, white tablecloths, and authentic jazz.

But succeed it has. The owner has bought the building next to it and the building next to that. Someone had some courage. The crowd is intelligent and appreciative and the most integrated crowd I've ever seen in my neck of the woods. We have been there five times over the two years, always bringing a skeptical couple who think it's going to be a bust. No one's been disappointed yet. Each week brings a new jazz singer/group to the club. The cover charge is modest and the menu has small plates, pizzas and elegant entrees.

Last night we heard the Scott Gwinnell Orchestra-ten instruments in that little space. They finished their second set with a favorite jazz piece-Charlie Mingus's Haitian Fight Song. Boy was the time right for that one. They played their hearts out between six and eleven.

What other Mingus music do you like? For me listening to it live for the first time raised the hairs on my neck.

The Dirty Dog is located on Kercheval Avenue in Grosse Pointe Farms, MI. And if you come to visit me, I'll take you there. We have a spare room and bath.

8 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Cool, you gotta love a success story like this.

Richard Robinson said...

Ah, the big three Ms: Miles, Mingus and Monk. Love 'em all. One of my favorites is on his Ah Um album, "Open Letter to Duke".

pattinase (abbott) said...

One of the few. Surprisingly though, restaurants seem to be hanging in there.
Have never gotten a handle on Miles. Love Monk though.

George said...

It's great to see ventures like this succeed. So many restaurants and clubs in my area have closed because of the Recession.

Travis Erwin said...

I love just about all live music and go as often as I'm able. glad the place has flourished.

Steve Langton said...

Great to read about this. Sadly, damn near all the small clubs have bit the dust in my neck of the woods. I don't have much knowledge of jazz, but was lucky enough to visit the 100 Club in London's Oxford Street on a few occasions and always had a great night there. Live music rules!
Hope you have many more enjoyable evenings there.

David Terrenoire said...

This is a great story. Thanks.

Barrie said...

Patti, that's quite the offer! A bed, a bath and an evening at an interesting jazz club!