Sunday, November 01, 2009

My Bela Lugosi Story


James Reasoner's wonderful story on Beat to a Pulp reminded me of this tale.

In June, 1947, Bela Lugosi arrived in New Hope, PA to play in Arsenic and Old Lace at the Bucks County Playhouse, summer stock at that time. He stayed at the Logan Inn and was, flamboyantly, a man about town, wearing his cape most of the time. Reportedly a very nice fellow, he liked to be recognized and was even buried wearing that cape.

My father-in-law owned a small luncheonette with a newspaper business and one day, Bela swept in wearing the cape, inquiring about his delinquent newspaper delivery. My father-in-law, still in his twenties, nonplussed by this flashy entrance, regarding his Hungarian accent and the cape as affectation, finally managed to whip off his apron and say, "You may have scared me once, Mr. Lugosi, but I'm not a kid anymore."

6 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

lol. What a great tale.

James Reasoner said...

That's a great story. Thanks for sharing it.

David Cranmer said...

That's gold. Funny story that I'm glad you passed along.

pattinase (abbott) said...

If you knew my FIL, it was even funnier. He was one tough cookie and a Peter Lorre look alike.

Evan Lewis said...

Good stuff. Could be grist for another James Reasoner tale.

Ed Gorman said...

Your father-in-law is my kind of guy.