Sunday, November 29, 2009

Every Once in a While


my subconscious mind writes a story without my conscious mind knowing it. Does this ever happen to you? Suddenly it comes pouring out as if someone was whispering in your ear or guiding your hand.

And if so, are those your best stories? Can you remember which ones came easiest later?

Are the best stories the ones we work on the hardest or the ones that come like a gift?


This certainly did not happen with the flash piece I will put up tomorrow. I sweat bullets over it because the milieu was not familiar to me. That voice was never there.
Neither my conscious or subconscious mind wants to claim it.

7 comments:

David Cranmer said...

The gifts are so welcoming. Today, the ending to a story just popped in outta nowhere. As soon as I got back to the hotel, I grabbed my laptop and knocked out the rough draft. It's nice when they work that way.

I'm looking forward to your flash piece tomorrow.

pattinase (abbott) said...

DON'T!!!

Dorte H said...

I think the best ones are the ones that come out of the blue (I had a really good one years ago in a dream. I woke up, grabbed a pen and wrote it down immediately).

And you are not the only one who has struggled with that Walmart story. I am old and brave enough to post mine, but it does certainly not take place in my backyard either.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I cannot imagine how hard it would be to set a story in a store you had never entered or even seen. Walmart is in the news for bad or good here every day. Maybe never in your backyard.

Ray said...

'Fear Of The Dark' was typed onto my blog within seconds of closing the curtains. It was raining and the street lights were reflected on the wet road. Bang! And I was away.

pattinase (abbott) said...

It's magic.

Dorte H said...

Good morning!

No, never in my backyard. But here you have my Walmart ´nightmare´:

http://djskrimiblog.blogspot.com/2009/11/walmartyres.html