Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Cheers for WSU PRESS and Bonnie Jo Campbell



Who was just nominated for a National Book Award. WSU Press (my alma mater, place of employment, and my husband is on the Press' board) just began publishing fiction a few years ago and what a triumph for the City of Detroit and a university that educates the children of that city.

American Salvage is a volume of short stories (yay!) that knocked me out when I read it. Talk about hard-boiled.
I went to Bonnie's reading last spring and she knocked me out, too. If you want to see why visit her website.

Or look at this picture. Three cheers for the little guy--even if she's not so little.

7 comments:

Joe Barone said...

Great news! I'm sure you are proud for your and your husband's connection to all this.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks, Joe. But most of all a boost for presses giving short stories a try.

Charles Gramlich said...

It's good to see short stories get their due for sure. I love 'em myself.

the walking man said...

Nay on three but rather Ten cheers for us all who have another reason and another person to say "She's from my home."

Todd Mason said...

An editor, in passing along the link to the NBAs, noted, "I suspect that they're dancing in their cubicles at Wayne State"...collective congratulations!

Unknown said...

American Salvage looks fascinating. I'm ordering now.

Barrie said...

I'll have to read this. I've always been a fan of short stories. They are so hard to write!