Sunday, June 28, 2009

MY TOWN MONDAY, June 29, 2009


Megan reading.

Megan will be reading from BURY ME DEEP, discussing the impetus for the story, and signing copies at Birmingham Borders on Thursday, July 9, 2009 at 7:00. The store is located on Woodward Avenue at Maple (15 Mile) Rd in Birmingham. Here is an excerpt of Chapter One.

I am putting this on MY TOWN MONDAY in the hope that some Detroiters I may not know will see this and come to the reading. Megan grew up and attended college here. She also worked for a state senator before beginning graduate school. .

Publishers are not so anxious to send writers to the midwest nowadays. I'd like to show them we can turn out a decent crowd for a hometown girl. It's tough without a newspaper to write a feature story for her or most likely even review the book.

BURY ME DEEP has received starred reviews from Kirkus and Library Journal and was selected as one of NEW YORK MAGAZINES summer reads. Publishers Weekly and Booklist liked it too. Sarah Weinman lists it on her site as a pick of the week and calls it amazing.

Come out on the ninth and show the publishing world that Detroit still reads books. BURY ME DEEP sells for just $15. Simon and Schuster is the publisher. For the rest of her book tour schedule, see here

For more MY TOWN MONDAY posts, see the man in the top hat, Travis Erwin.

16 comments:

Barbara Martin said...

If I lived closer to Detroit, I would attend. So I'll be there in thought.

The first chapter reminds me of a John Steinback novel, an author I love.

Gordon Harries said...

The rumble is that, if there’s any justice, the book is going to do gangbusters.

Having read it a couple of months back I can say, honestly, that I think it’s Megan’s best. Redolent of the stylistic virtues of William Kennedy, whilst retaining the pulp edge for which she’s (quite rightly) lauded.

I absolutely loved it, if that means anything to people.

Charles Gramlich said...

Sorry I won't be able to be there. Does she plan to come to New Orleans area at anytime?

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks, Barbara and Gordon. I think it's her best too. Charles-Texas and Arizona and Mississippi. New Orleans is her favorite city outside NY so I know she wishes she could come there. Somehow she talked me into going there instead of her senior class trip and has been there several times since.

Unknown said...

I picked up my copy of Bury me Deep on Thursday. I hope the Detroit reading is huge! I'll be there in spirit, but I'll physically be at the Scottsdale signing later on in the month.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks, Keith. She'll be glad for some friendly faces anywhere.

Kathleen A. Ryan said...

Thanks for letting us know about Megan. I visited your links, and now know about her blog, The Rap Sheet. Best wishes to Megan on her tour!

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks, Katherine.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Wish I could be there - I know it'll be a big success.

Lauren said...

I hope the reading goes well :). I've not been to her blog but will go check it out. Is she going to be in Chicago?

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks. Lauren. I'm afraid not on this trip.

Lolita Breckenridge said...

That photograph of her with the hands is so quintessentially Megan. Bury Me Deep is a masterpiece. I'm telling my family in Michigan to go cheer her on!

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks, Chris. Wish you and the little darling I follow with such interest were going to be here.

Barrie said...

What a great idea for a MTM post! Here's to a successful signing!

pierre l said...

I just had a message from Amazon.co.uk stating that they have shipped my copy of "Bury Me Deep" -- I should have it tomorrow.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I hope you get to that Theakston thing and have her sign it. Wish I could come. Thanks, Pierre.