Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day, Mom



For the last five years of her life, my mother (and father) came to Michigan from Philly to be near us. Since I married at 19 and immediately moved away, we never had a chance to know each other as adults until 2004. Oh, we talked every week and visited twice a year, but it wasn't the same as having a mother a few miles away. That mother was still a remnant of my childhood.

These last five years were not good times for my mother. She was ill much of the time, in and out of hospitals, rehab centers. I don't think there were more than a few days she really felt like herself. For 80 years, she had been a vibrant, lovely woman. Strong and kind. Loving and eager to hear about whatever I wanted to tell her. She radiated peace, acceptance. Adored her grandchildren.

I know she suffered greatly about the strain those years put upon me (and my incredible husband). But what I want to say to her is this: I am grateful to have had those years. Grateful to have been there for her all of those days. I found out much about courage and character. I found out much about her.

And lastly, I am grateful to have been there when she died. To see the peace on her face. To hold her hand at the end. Happy Mother's Day, Mom. I can truly say, I did know ye.

10 comments:

debra said...

Thank you for this lovely post, Patti.
I understand.
I have linked to you today.

George said...

I'm going through some of the same experiences with my 81 year old mother that you had with your mom. Your touching tribute to your mother is very moving. You're a good daughter!

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks, guys. I guess this is one experience we all share: the parting.

Sandra Scoppettone said...

Beautiful, Patti.

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Dear Patti,

God Bless your whole family.

Terrie

Lisa said...

I was thinking about you today. The first holidays without the people we love are tough, but Mother's Day seems to stay the hardest. Peace. xo

pierre l said...

Beautiful words indeed, Patti.
I can feel the same too: my wife of 30 years died of Altzeimer's a few years ago, aged 56). Fortunately, I have supportive children.

the walking man said...

Amen to this Patti.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Ah-Pierre-I am so sorry for such an early and heart-breaking loss and glad you had support from your children.
Thanks to the rest of you. You are my support too.

Todd Mason said...

Glad you were able to get good things from your late time together, Patti.