Sunday, July 20, 2008

My Town Monday: Side Trip to Stratford, Ontario to Shakespeare Festival









The Stratford Shakespeare Theater Festival began in 1952 in Stratford, Ontario. Tom Patterson, a local journalist, was looking for a way to revitalize his town after train service to the town was discontinued. The town’s name provided his inspiration. The first year’s half-dozen productions were performed in a tent but today the town has four venues that perform plays from May till November. Two of those theaters hold over 1000 people, the other two are more intimate.

2008 Season



The quality of the productions is first-rate and actors from both the U.S. and Canada regularly perform here.

Stratford has turned the town over to the success of this festival and has lectures, musical events, gardens, a lovely river, multi-media productions, museums and other events to compliment this festival. It is a 3 hour drive from Detroit. We usually see 1-2 productions a year. This year we saw The Music Man, which was absolutely outstanding.


The town of Stratford is charming as well. It has numerous top-notch accomodations to fit all budgets as well as fine restaurants and shops.

If you are within driving distance of Stratford, I highly recommend a trip. Check out more My Town Monday posts at Travis Erwin's blog:

http://traviserwin.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

Sounds like a good idea that has taken off. One of my goals is to see more theater productions in my area.

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Hi Patti,

Nothing like Shakespeare with a little Music Man and Cabaret thrown in!

Terrie

pattinase (abbott) said...

I should be ashamed that with six Shakespeare plays, I saw Music Man but damn it was fun.

Barbara Martin said...

Hope you had a good time. I've been to Stratford a couple of times, but not to see the festival: Hanoverian horses at Charlot Farms owned by Augustine Walch.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Wish I had known about that, Barbara.

Linda McLaughlin said...

Sounds like loads of fun. I love live theatrical performances.

Linda

debra said...

My parents loved going to Stratford! My late father had tickets to go last year when he had his stroke. Thanks for this post.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I bet that happens very often since most people buy their tickets well ahead. Sorry to hear about it, Debra.
He had good taste.